:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 12 september 2003

Current Music: Hans de Booij – “Annabel”

This song has given me another favorite name for if and when I ever have a daughter… I like the name Annabel. Always have, ever since I read No Flying In The House when I was about eight, but this song re-reminded me of it. But if I have to have enough kids to use up all my favorite names, especially the ones for the girls… well… let’s just say I could probably start my own football team. :) LOL!

Anyway, we had a little get-together last night in the field out behind Park R… S and C and I organized it and then a ton of people came. S brought his new football (=soccer ball) and then one of the Aussie guys brought an Aussie football (which looks like a rugby ball) so we played with those for a while, and people brought chips and drinks and stuff, and someone made these little marzipan things with nutmeg and walnuts… lekker! I left around 20.45 to get a jacket but then once I got back to the apartment, D was online, and I had missed having internet :) so we chatted for a while and then he left to get ready for work, and I was out of the ‘party mood’ by then so I just took a shower and went to bed. S is rather disgusted with me, I think – he thinks I’m a party pooper (or something) because I don’t like bars (but I do like dance clubs!) and I don’t drink much and I don’t usually want to stay out really really late… but my theory is, I’m here to have fun, whatever my personal definition of that may be, and experience things that are different from home, so why should I waste my time doing things which I don’t enjoy and which I can do at home in G-ville just as well as here? So okay, so I’m not like 99% of the exchange students here. Big fat hairy deal. Like O and I always say: who wants to be normal?

OK, now that that’s out of my system… ;) … sorry. Every once in a while I just get annoyed by that situation. Anyhoo…

Jags game is blacked out this Sunday because not enough people bought tickets. :( Come on, J-villers, what’s the matter with you?! How do you expect your team to get any better if you don’t show your support?!

A just called S to say that she knows a girl who has rooms! We haven’t called yet – we’re still debating whether or not we actually want to move, if that option becomes available. True, it’s @#$%^&* expensive here at Park R, and pretty far away from everything, but we have high-speed Net (a huge plus for me, no matter how crappily it’s working at the moment), it’s furnished, and we each have our own bedroom. Depends on what the girl has, I guess… we’ll probably end up giving her a call.

(Hey D, this is for you: I was just chatting with my sis and we were talking about Mom (hi Mom… *grin* *hug*) and then C said, “Yikes, MITR”… (snap je die??) I told her it was a good thing I had had so much acronym practice, HAHA!!!) ;)

School is still going well, except that now I have to relearn all sorts of linguistic stuff in Dutch, LOL! I already know it (sort of… *blush*) in English, and of course it’s English we’re studying, but the phonology half of the course is taught by a Dutchman so there are a lot of comparisons to Dutch and we’ve been given whole worksheets full of charts, etc., for Dutch… so now I have to relearn things like the names they use here for points of articulation, classification of sounds, phonetic symbols… This language has some different sounds, e.g. vowels, and of course the ‘g’ in the throat, represented by [x], whereas in English, [x] means something else… can’t remember what… LOL! So there are a lot of similarities, but definitely enough differences to make it weird, especially since LIN 3010 was months ago and is not exactly fresh in my memory… and these students seem to have had either (a) more recent linguistic coursework than I, or (b) more of it… probably (b). (I have yet to meet anyone younger than about 22, so they’ve probably all been studying for longer than I.) They have this stuff at the top of their brains whereas I have to think really hard and try to pull it up. I could use my UF notes… wish I’d brought them. But I like a challenge… so look out, Engelse Taalkunde! :) (Enne… Boswell begint maandag! YAY!!!)

Anyway… (oke P, hier dan komt een beetje Nederlands voor jou! ;))… zondag gaan we (S en ikke) bij M mee-eten, yay! We hebben haar al één keer gezien maar alleen om ff wat te drinken, en we hebben helaas bijna geen NL gesproken (ik schaam me diep! :))… dus zondag zal leuk zijn, denk ik. (En we kunnen Lange Wapper (d’r konijn) uiteindelijk ontmoeten, haha!!)

Time for dinner now… tot morgen!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger